Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Scotty the Philosopher…

I am taking an Ethics and Values class at right now. Don’t let the name fool you though; most of the professors that teach the class have neither ethics nor values. For the past couple of weeks we have been reading writings of both Nietzsche and Camus. In their writings, both philosophers challenge us to think about the nature of morality and moral commandments, and about how we as individuals are effected by the ethical and moral demands and expectations of the society or culture within which we live. As part of a take home quiz I was asked to write a 750-1000 word essay either evaluating Nietzsche’s criticism of morality or give a critical analysis of Camus’ novel The Stranger.

Originally, I chose the first topic, but Nietzsche takes SO many words to say nothing, that I was having a hard time following him. Not to mention his moral command, live a happy life, and the fact that he does not pretend to believe in any other moral authority, including God. About a week ago, as Eli and I were driving home from somewhere, I was explaining my assignment and why I should switch topics. As I was explaining some of Nietzsche’s ideas to Eli, it was as if I (or Nietzsche) had challenged him. When we arrived home he got out my copy of Nietzsche’s writing and started reading through it and marking it up…in order to pick Nietzsche’s ideas apart…he was a man with a mission. But, since I’ve never been much of a philosopher, I switched and chose the second topic.

Then last Sunday as we were watching TV in the evening, a show came on the Science Channel that had two scientists discussing the existence of God. One was using science to argue that there was no way there could be a God, and the other one was explaining how that very same science proved there was a God. Listening to these two men got Eli and I talking again about how much the first scientist sounded like Nietzsche. Usually when we are watching TV dad has a hard time following along, and after a few minutes will say something like, “I don’t get what they are talking about.” Or “Do you know what’s going on here?” But this time he sat there with us…listening. I was sitting behind him at the desk and had thought he’d fallen asleep, that is until he started philosophizing with Eli! Dad was able to follow what the two scientists were saying and was able to articulate why the one was wrong. When it comes to the Gospel dad still remembers!

No comments:

Post a Comment