Sunday, September 16, 2012

Our Daily Bread...

Dad has always said beautiful prayers and even as he is losing SO much of his memory, he still gives a pretty good prayer. 

At bedtime I usually get dad started getting his pajamas on and then I go get mine on too. Then I go back and get his dentures soaking, he puts his glasses away and gets in bed, and I turn out the light. One evening a few weeks ago I got sidetracked after getting my jammies on and took a bit longer getting back to help him. When I opened the door dad was kneeling at his bed saying his prayers. When he heard me he looked up and invited me to join him and then invited me to say the prayer. So began a new nightly routine. Now after dad is ready for bed, we say a prayer together before he lays down. A few weeks ago it was dad's turn to pray and he started his prayer, "Our Father who art in Heaven..." and continued to recite the first half of the Lord's Prayer before adding his own words. Then a few nights ago he bagan the same way, but added his own words after just the first lien of the prayer. 

Tonight it was dad's turn to bless dinner and he recited all of the Lord's Prayer...good thing it asks Him to bless our daily bread. 

No comments:

Post a Comment