Sunday, October 7, 2012

What Did You Say?

Dad's been going through phases lately where some days he will be in the middle of saying something or asking a question and before he gets to the end of the sentence he forgets the next word he is wanting to say or forgets what he was talking about completely. But for the past couple of days he has also started talking nonsense. 

He and I  are sitting in the living-room watching TV and a few minutes ago he said, "I've got things to do tomorrow." When I asked him what he meant he said, "Well I've got to feed the chickens." When he says things like that to me, I think maybe he's back in Idaho on the farm. 

Then Tanner walked though the room, and dad said, "Will you remind those little ones to keep their hands out of my pouches." I just replied, "I don't think you need to worry, I don't think they even know about them." When he says things like that I'm not quite sure what he's talking about. I think maybe he's stuck between now and the past. The problem I have is trying to figure out how to respond to those odd comments. Sometimes I can figure out something to go along with what he's saying. Other times I have to admit, I have no idea how to respond, so I pretend I didn't hear him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment