Thursday, July 29, 2010

The sun must be down now...

Dad has been "sundowning" lately. The term "sundowning" refers to a state of confusion at the end of the day and into the night. For the last two nights I have almost been able to tell time by dad's level of confusion. It starts right about 9:30.

Growing up dad was never much of a conversationalist. I can't remember just sitting down to chat with him. It's not that we didn't talk to one another; dad just wasn't one for idle chatter. This disease has definitely changed that.

We are at a hard stage of the Dementia. Dad is aware enough to know that something is not right with him, but he forgets what it is. His short-term memory is also SO short that he has a hard time following most TV shows. Lately, as I am relaxing by watching a TV show before bed, dad wants to chat.

Tonight’s conversation started with dad saying he couldn't remember why he ever quit driving, so I told him the doctor suggested he quit when he stated having problems with his memory. We have had this conversation before and it usually leads to him telling me about when he used to drive truck and how much he loved driving. Tonight the conversation took a different turn.

Instead of continuing with the driving theme, dad said he just felt like a nothing. I quickly let him know he was not a nothing, but was important and very loved, which lead him to ask if he even had a wife any more. I reminded him that mom passed away five years ago. He then asked how old I was when she died.

Anyway, I don’t really need to rehash the whole conversation…it was way too tiring the first time! The thing was that usually it takes dad a few minutes to ask a question you have already answered, but the past few nights it’s been worse. I will literally just barely be done finishing my answer and he is asking the same question.

Can I just say I hate this disease!




1 comment:

  1. Hang in there! This is where you earn the gilding on your wings. And the rainbow halo. And the silk-lined cloud.

    You guys are awesome. Thanks for all that you are doing!

    ReplyDelete