Saturday, July 17, 2010

What's This Gooey Stuff All Over My Shoe

Our current remodeling project (putting a dining nook where the laundry room used to be) is at the mud and tape stage. Yesterday Eli and Connor taped all the seams, and this morning Connor mudded them while Eli was at work. When he was done, he cleaned the mud off all the tools & wiped up the glops that fell on the floor, then he went to his girlfriends house.

Eli got home from work at 3:00 and was checking to see if the mud was dry when he noticed a few places that needed more mud. After he touched up the few spots, he too cleaned up his mess, washed his tools, and dumped the leftover mud in the kitchen trash.

While Eli was touching up the wall, Dad was helping me plant a flowering vine by the arbor out back. We finished just in time for dinner, so as I was putting away the tools dad went in to wash his hands for dinner. Dinner was a chicken & pasta casserole...which was very good if I do say so myself, but I digress.

Dad is always the last one done eating. By the time he was finished eating and went to put his dishes in the sink, everyone else was already doing other things. I had been in the office on the computer, and got up to go to the bathroom. As I walked out of the office, I saw dad at the sink with his shoe off. I asked what happened and he said he'd got some kind of goop on his pants and shoe. Knowing that the dinner casserole had a white sauce on it, I asked if it was from dinner. Dad's response was that he'd forgot where it came from, but that must be it. I figured dad could handle it by himself so I went on into the bathroom.

From the bathroom, I could hear dad trying to clean the goop off himself and the floor. He was talking about not being able to get it off the floor, and realized that it was sheet-rock mud he had on his pants and shoes. Since I was unable to go see what had happened, I called Eli to come help dad. Together they got the mess cleaned up.

You see...dad hates to see a trashcan filled to the top. Usually as the contents are beginning to get closer to the top of the trashcan, dad will put his foot in the trash to mash it down. Well...tonight when dad put his foot in the trash to pack it down, he stepped into the sheet-rock mud that Eli had thrown away.

I guess we need to be more careful about what we leave uncovered at the top of the trashcan.




1 comment:

  1. Whoops! I can totally see him mushing down the trash. Great writing Mickey. I hope it gives you an outlet; it's nice for us to have a connection. We keep you in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete