Thursday, July 15, 2010

You've Got Mail...

While dad was living at Jamestown last year, he received several cards and letters during the holiday season. He placed the pictures that were inside the cards and letters carefully on his dresser in a place where they could be easily seen. When visitors and Jamestown staff came to his room, dad was sure to tell them who people in the pictures were with great pride. The cards and letters were all placed in a neat stack on the corner of his dresser, among his collection of flashlights, watches, cuff-links and other treasures.

It wasn't until dad was living with us that I realized the reason the cards and letters were left out, instead of discarded or put away. Dad re-reads the cards and letters daily. He loves hearing about what is going on with family that he has not seen in awhile.

When I realized that dad was re-reading the cards & letters, I noticed that most of them were received around the holidays. That is except for the cards and letters he gets from his niece Donna Bolander. Donna's mother, my Aunt Lois, was an avid letter writer and it seems Donna has inherited that trait. She sends dad a card or letter about every six weeks. Then it dawned on me...Donna doesn't have a computer.

I know that it's been ages since I've had a book of stamps in my wallet, because now I am able to keep in touch with friends and family through emails and Facebook. So...I created an email account for dad! I checked for ScottyThomas, CallMeScotty, and JustCallMeScotty but they were all taken, so being very clever I decided on Vernon.justcallmescotty.thomas and it was available!

Dad has already received 4 "letters." Just like the other cards and letters, they are placed on the corner of his dresser so he can read and re-read them frequently.

No comments:

Post a Comment