Wednesday, July 28, 2010

What's For Dinner...

When I got home from work tonight, Eli already had some chicken cooking on the barbecue. I took a peek as I walking into the house and it looked really tasty...good thing cuz I worked through lunch and was very hungry.

I was up in our bedroom taking off my shoes and getting ready to change out of my work clothes when Eli called. As I was coming down the stairs, he informed me that we were going out to eat because dinner was burnt.

We debated between Fudrucker's and In-N-Out, and decided on In-N-Out because Eli had not been to the new one n Orem yet.

As we were reading the menu, I realized there wasn't a chicken or fish option which is what dad usually gets, so he ordered a cheeseburger and a strawberry shake instead of his usual chicken or fish and chocolate milk. Change is good, right?

The wait wasn't very long, so ten minutes later we had our food and everyone began eating...everyone but dad that is. Dad is really slow at everything he does, so I didn't worry at first. Then he was pulling the lettuce out of the bun because it was too big to bite, again I didn't say anything. A few minutes later I see that his strawberry shake is half gone, but his uneaten hamburger is wrapped in a napkin. As I was telling him he needed to quit drinking his shake and take a few bites of the hamburger, I flashed back to when the boys were little and we had to make them save their drinks for last or they wouldn't finish their meal.

Dad unwrapped the hamburger and started to nibble around the edges of the burger. I was satisfied he was going to eat and started to talk to Tanner about the math class he is taking. When I looked back over at dad, he had his hamburger wrapped up again. Frustrated, I reached across the table, picked up his shake, and set it down in front of me which got a dirty look from dad. I then explained that we are worried, because he is just not eating enough and that even though he saves food to "eat later," it never gets eaten.

This time dad got stubborn and just told me that he would eat when he was ready. At that point...with the girl at the next table watching...I decided that In-N-Out is not the place to argue with dad about finishing his meal.

When we got home, dad decided he wanted to go for a walk before coming in. He takes walks around the park across the street by himself and doesn't get lost...we watch from the house just to be sure he makes it back.

Hormel makes some single serving meals and dad really likes the ones that have chicken and either mashed potatoes or stuffing, so we try to keep some on hand. While dad was taking his walk, I cooked one of the meals and put it on a plate then set a place for him to eat.

When he came in from his walk I told him dinner was ready. He told me he wasn't hungry...big surprise! It took a while, but I was finally able to get him to eat most of the meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment